Thursday, September 20, 2007

Last day of work, horror stories, and a little preaching...

No news yet. Today was my last day of work for awhile and I'm glad for that. Sarah told me I could work Tuesday and Thursday if I feel up to it, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to handle it. There were moments today when I thought I wouldn't be able to stand any longer and by the end of my shift I felt like I was being rude to people. In true Fashion Bug style, every customer today asked me when I was due, what the gender was, and if it was my first baby. I will be so happy to no longer have to answer people's endless questions.

Jamie (my boss) came into work today and she told me her birthing story. She had a very long, painful labor that eventually ended in a c- section. However, her baby is only 7 weeks old and she's already saying she wants another one so it must not have been that bad! I can't imagine being prepared for another one already. Anyway, she told me her horror story and answered some questions of mine. She said that even though the epidural is painful it's worth the relief from contractions and I was glad to hear that. I get tired of people judging me for wanting the epidural and it's really rare that someone tells me it's a good decision. People sometimes forget that what's right for them isn't always right for someone else.

Someone on the radio the other day was complaining that "women these days" are just too wussy and babied because they have all these birthing options available to them. Not to mention women now get more maternity leave than ever before and a lot of women are opting to be stay-at-home moms. I take offense to the statement that we are wussy than women before us... you better believe a lot of them would have taken their full maternity leave if they could have! I plan to be back on my feet and in the working world as quickly as possible after having Cambria. As for the hot-button issue of stay-at-home moms... I understand why people do it and I'm sure it's a lovely thing to do if that option is available to you, but I don't think I would be a stay-at-home mom even if I could be. My dad recently said that he thinks children of stay-at-home moms are better adjusted than other children and I disagree with that. I think that sending a child to daycare or to a babysitter (in the family or otherwise) is good for the child and the mother. Giving your child other social opportunities is vital in order for them to someday be good communicators and well-rounded people. Either way, I don't have that option, but I think I'd go crazy being at home all day by myself while everyone else gets to go out and experience socializing and community. That's just me. Don't get me wrong, though, I have a lot of respect for stay-at-home moms and I think they make the world go 'round, it just isn't for me. I will step off my soapbox now.

Tonight Cody works all evening and I think I'm going to eat, nap, and finish packing my bag. Everyone tells me I'll have a huge burst of energy before she comes, but I feel more and more exhausted everyday. When I do have the occasional burst of energy it happens at work and when I get home I'm ready to sleep! Well, dinner's ready and I'm sleepy, so I'm going to go! I will continue to update frequently and I'll let everyone know if anything progresses!

-Alicia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alicia,
When you have Cambria, it will be YOUR own special experience to share with others!! I pray the whole process goes safely & smoothly for you.
I love you,
Blondie