Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Baby Xander, Thrush, and Acid Reflux

Otis Alexander Hatton was born yesterday in Wadsworth weighing 8 lbs. and 20 inches long! His head was 37cm just like Cambria's! Lydia had a long, painful labor, but she handled it like a pro and I was so pleased just to be a part of it. After about 28 hours after her induction and after countless efforts to get Xander out naturally, the doctor had to resort to c-section. Lydia was so exhausted and feeling her pain that she didn't care at that point. Tonight after work I'm going to go and hold him for the first time! He's so handsome!

On a less exciting note, maybe it's paranoia, but I think maybe the thrush is back. I don't know for sure though. It may just be that she's having a difficult time latching on. We've been going back and forth between bottles and breastfeeding like crazy and I don't blame her for the confusion. The truth of the matter is, though, she's going to have to get used to it and figure it out because it's what we have to do!

As you already know, we have been co-sleeping since we brought her home from the hospital. The last two nights we've laid down to go to bed and she's slept in my arms. When she would wake up in the middle of the night for a feeding, I would feed her without even getting up. She's actually doing a good job finding the source of the milk without much help from me! So she will latch on, eat, and fall asleep- it's lovely. I know co-sleeping has a lot of faults, but that is a HUGE bonus. I know if we put her in the crib, she won't sleep as long. I need, need, need to get her to sleep in the crib though. I don't want to co-sleep much longer.

Cambria has acid- reflux and she's been taking Zantac twice a day for awhile now. We've also had to put rice in her bottles (when she's not breastfeeding) so that she will keep it down. Some times she gets such awful tummy aches she screams and screams and I just want to cry because I feel so helpless. We give her Mylicon and it helps sometimes, but not always. She wears herself out with her tummy aches. She had been spitting up every single meal she was eating, so she wasn't gaining enough weight. We went back to the pediatrician yesterday and she said Cambria was gaining an ounce a day (she needs at least 1/2 an ounce a day) and we were doing good. However, this morning I breastfed her and she spit all of it up and threw a fit. Poor baby! Poor parents!

Yesterday at the hospital while we were waiting for Xander, Ryan asked me to video tape the birth and of course I was happy to do it! Turned out that the doctor wouldn't allow it and then the c-section came anyway. But while I was in the room with them my dad kept Cambria. All the nurses were so impressed with Grandpa! Cambria seems to love my dad more than me somedays! She likes his deep voice.

At one point we took her in the waiting room and there were these toy dogs called "Canine Crooners" and my dad pushed the button so it played and Cambria smiled and starred at it! I've never seen her respond to any toy or anything other than a face! Later we played it for her again and she reached out for it and smiled! The nurses were all amazed at how responsive and alert she was. One nurse said I must be giving her a lot of facial contact because she rarely ever sees a 6- week old baby that stares at a face so intently and for so long. Needless to say I was pretty pleased with my little jellybean.

We still have yet to survive a doctor's appointment without Cambria peeing all over the exam table. Every. Time.

Watching Lydia go through her labor just made me appreciate where I'm at now. She's going into "hell week" with recovery and it's going to be a rough journey. Everyone says to enjoy the moment you're in and not to look too forward to the future because you might miss something, but it's difficult to do that! There are days when I just can't wait until she can hold her own pacifier (by the way, Soothie- we LOVE you!), give us better cues to what she needs, and go to sleep more easily. I know all those things are awhile away, but someday I really look forward to it.

I have to go to work! Ahhh!

No comments: